19 May Books You Need If You Want To Crack The NDA Exam (2022)
The National Defence Academy exam or the NDA exam is a national level exam that is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and is taken by students interested in joining the Army, Navy, and Airforce wings. If you are interested in the Defence sector you most probably already know about the exam and what it entails. You know that the selection process for the national defense academy is a rigorous process that takes months of preparation, practice, and dedication.
- NDA with Schooling after 10th
- List of useful books for NEET or JEE preparation
- Career in NDA for female aspirants
If you have already decided that you are going to take this exam, we are here to make sure that you know what you are getting into and are ready for the same. Before jumping ahead, let’s see a few important details about the test:
- The test is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
- It is a national level exam that is held twice in a year (NDA 1 and II)
- Sections under the exam are General Ability Test (GAT) and Mathematics
- The mode of exam is offline
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours 30 minutes for the GAT section and 2 hours 30 minutes for Mathematics
- The selection process includes a written test and an SSB interview
So in conclusion, the exam is a 5-hour long process. The entire process is divided into two parts, including the test and the interview, and the entire process counts to 1800 marks. These marks are equally divided into the two stages i.e. the exam coming up to 900 marks and the same for SSB interview.
UPSC NDA Syllabus
It is necessary to get familiar with the syllabus of the exam you are preparing for. This allows you to keep track of all the topics you need to cover and allows you to understand your strengths and weaknesses. This step is also necessary because it tells you which topics you should spend more of your time on and which topics are irrelevant with respect to the exam. The two main topics included in the written test are Mathematics and General Aptitude Test. These sections are further divided into sub-sections. The Mathematics section is based on the syllabus for maths from Class 11th and 12th i.e. Algebra, Arithmetics, Trigonometry, Calculus, etc. As far as the General Aptitude Test is concerned, it includes sections like English and General Knowledge. Under general knowledge, you will be tested on Static GK, English Grammar, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, Current Affairs, etc. And the most important point, Mathematics section consists of 300 marks whereas GAT is for 600 marks in total where all questions are objective type.
Important Books To Cover For NDA
Everyone knows that NCERT books are the basic books that you need to cover for almost all competitive exams. But a smart student knows that an NCERT book isn’t enough for NDA. When every student appearing for this exam is learning this book by heart, you need to learn a lot more if you want to have an edge over all your competitors.
List of Books to cover under Mathematics:
- Pathfinder NDA & NA by Arihant Publications
- Chapter-wise and Section-wise Solved Papers NDA/NA by Arihant Publications
- NDA entrance exam by E.S. Ramaswamy
- Mathematics for NDA and NA by RS Aggarwal
- Study Package Mathematics NDA/NA Entrance Exam by Amit Rastogi and Manjul Tyagi
- Mathematics for NDA and NA by S Chand publication
- Quantitative Aptitude by R.S. Agarwal
- 10 Practice Sets for NDA & NA by Arihant Publications
List of Books to cover under Physics
Physics is also an important exam under this test, it covers the following topics: Physical Properties, States of Matter, Weight, Mass, Volume, Density, Principle of Archimedes, Pressure Barometer, etc. Some books you can use for this section are Physics NCERT and Exemplar of Physics by Arihant
List of Books to cover under Chemistry
Chemistry can take up to 60 marks in the tests and covers topics like Elements, Mixtures, Compounds, Chemical change, Chemical Equations, Chemical Combinations, etc. Books you can use for this are NCERT books from class 11th and 12th.
List of Books to cover under GAT:
- Latest Manorama Yearbook
- General Knowledge 2021 by Manohar Pandey
- Success Series General Knowledge by Sachchida Nand Jha
- Oxford School Atlas by Oxford University Press
- Objective GK by Sanjiv Kumar; Lucent Publication
- Pratiyogita Darpan/ Competition Success Review
- History of Modern India by Bipan Chandra
- Science and Technology in India by Kalpana Rajaram
- General Science Guide for Competitive Exams by Disha Experts
List of Books to cover under English
For English, important topics include grammar usage, vocabulary, comprehension, etc. Some books to cover under English:
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman & Lewis
- High School English Grammar and Composition by Wren & Martin
Other Current Affairs books you can refer to include Pratiyogita Darpan English and Competition Success Review (C.S.R) Monthly Magazine by S.K. Sachdeva. These books will help you with current events, the latest awards, and other sports/cultural happenings.
These include all the books you will need if you want to ace your NDA exam. Most of these books are listed from Basic to difficult. It is advised to start your practice from NCERT books and once you have aced them, start moving on to the difficult ones. Something else you can do is develop daily habits that will help you in your exam. These habits include waking up at the same time, reading newspapers in the morning, and dedicating a specific time towards practicing. If you consistently do all this and follow a strategy, acing the exam will be a cakewalk.
Books you might be interested in – List of books and stationary